View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
STGHealthyWoman

Yes!!!!!

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
Maybe we should start an over 40 and newly sober thread? I think as older folks we have less pier pressure or at least it's easier to tell someone pushing booze at us to go to hell. We don't have to be the cool kid in high school or college any more. I have fewer friends and am less socially active than when younger. All of my drinking friends have seen or are alcoholics, they don't push it at me and compliment me on not drinking. The more years drinking they likely health effects. Older is a different environment. That being said the commonalities of alcoholism are mostly the same.
Can we do that? --start the over 40 thread, I mean. I am 52 and have been drinking off and on since I was 17 years old. The "off" portions were only when I was pregnant and/or breastfeeding so the "on" sections were much longer

I think the differences are that I work a full time-demanding job as does my husband. We have two kids who have lived with an alcoholic mother all of their lives and it has definitely strained our relationships. My husband has put up with an alcoholic wife for 27 years. These are situations that someone in their 20's or maybe even 30's cannot relate to only because they haven't lived it. I think it would be beneficial to lean on and offer support to folks who have had similar experiences that can only be had by living longer. That's my 2 cents!