View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
fripfrop

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
[B]
The problem, as I see it, in creating a forum that is narrow in scope is it keeps those posting in it narrow in scope. For me, in recovery, it is important to be able to learn from everyone and keep my mind open and willing.

And, if us old folks gravitate to the 'Florida' forum (hehe) how can we share our experience, strength and hope with the younger generation? We have much to pass on and if we can touch just one 25 yr old? Maybe that person doesn't have to suffer another 25 years.

Just my perspective.
But just because you post in one forum, doesn't mean you can't post in others..lots of people here post in multiple forums I've noticed!
A forum for over 40s sounds great...because just like the youth have their age specific problems, and how it affects their drinking habits, so do us oldies.
I didn't drink probmatically in my 20s so can only imagine how hard it would be to give up when all my friends liked to party...but that isn't a problem for me now. What is a problem is coming to terms with what I have wasted of my life drinking, that my kids have flown the nest, divorce, making new friends at my age, finding a job at my age , dealing with more deaths of family and friends as we get older, parents, siblings, spouses, dealing with more health problems.

And would be nice finding people also in middle age and beyond and talking about how they deal with this stuff.
While I do read posts from younger people struggling I can only really relate my experiences NOW, with people of similar age and drinking experiences.
I sympathize with mother and fathers struggling with kids and their addictions, I sympathize with the youngsters needing to be young and struggling with addiction, but I Empathize with people in similar situations to me.