View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
entropy1964

MovingForward1, The problem with kids these days is they just don't stick with things. They don't have the roughness or the ability to face adversity like older folks do. I drank for 35 years, had 5 DUI's and many other problems. They maybe be smarter than us but they can't take a beating like we can

That's a huge generalization. I don't see that at all and I have a 15 year old. I don't think 'kids' have changed that much or that old people are any stronger. It takes great courage to get sober. I think the number of young people trying is awesome. They face a different set of circumstances, but recovery is recovery. The internet and maybe more enlightened parents (like my generation) have made the younger folks more 'aware' of their problem. That is a great thing.

The problem, as I see it, in creating a forum that is narrow in scope is it keeps those posting in it narrow in scope. For me, in recovery, it is important to be able to learn from everyone and keep my mind open and willing.

And, if us old folks gravitate to the 'Florida' forum (hehe) how can we share our experience, strength and hope with the younger generation? We have much to pass on and if we can touch just one 25 yr old? Maybe that person doesn't have to suffer another 25 years.

Just my perspective.