Thread: I need to relax
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

There will always be things that we can worry about if we want to. The list you made of things going on in your life are stressful and time consuming to be certain, but once they are complete there will be a full list of new things once again. Life is not "easy" and especially for those who are addicts, we want instant gratification. We are no different once we quit drinking, we just start obsessing/worrying about something else - which it seems you are doing and you also recognize you are doing it.

That's why you hear so much about things like the Serentity Prayer, Mindfulness, etc in sobriety - because they all focus on taking things one at a time and not worrying about what we cannot control - which includes the future, the past, other people, the weather, etc. I struggle with the same issue and many of us do, my "tool" has been learning to try and be mindful of keeping in the "now" and trying different types of meditation, relaxation. Keeping organized/making lists helps me too. You can not only get satisfaction when things are marked as "done" but you can also cross things off that you have no control over. In the list of things you have in your OP there are several you could simply cross off because you cannot control or influence them in any way. And then move on to things you can control!