View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Rocky.....a good description of alcoholic behaviors of those who are not in genuine recovery (the key word here, is "genuine").......

Now, Rocky.....I give you a ginormous challenge: Try to get a newly "in love" person to believe and heed what you have just presented!!......lol......it is like trying to pull a sword from a stone.......
Most just won't do it....

While alcoholism is powerful...very tenacious....so are the forces of early attraction and "love". Attraction, also, has very powerful bonding hormones on it's side. It is written into our biology...necessarily, by Mother Nature...(long story)......
In addition, it also has culture on it's side......the th ousands of messages...both subtle and overt....that say "Do It"......"It is written in the stars"......"Soul Mates"...."The One"......visions of gossamer wedding dresses and picket fences....the whole 9 yards....."growing old together".......

Then, there are individual pathol ogies to consider.....this list is several pages long.
Fears of abandonment; "Codependency"; Pattterns learned from family of origin; Poor personal coping skills; Ignorance of the disease; Slot-machine reasoning "I've already invested soo much"; The FOG (fear, obligation, guilt); The very, very, lonely; Trauma bonding (in abuse);
etc.......

It is good to present your material, Rocky....Lord knows, we do it over and over, here on SR.....and, I am right in front of the line......lol....

Good Luck!

dandylion