Thread: No alibi ...
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Odd, I too was also found in the cabbage patch!

It's bothersome to me when someone questions why they drink and begins to look at their past and what's happened to them only to see someone post "Who cares why you drink? You just can't".

I do understand in our brains sometimes we seek out answers because we think if we work on what's occurred in our past we're trying to kid ourselves that then we can drink. So ultimately we're trying to convey to the person that there may be a chance they're seeking answers for the wrong reasons. How can anyone assume that's why they are searching for answers though?

I was adopted at birth into a family only because my parents had connections. In doing a home study the doctor would say no because they knew my mother wouldn't live into the child's adult life. Didn't matter, since they knew someone with clout it was allowed. It came true, my mother died three months after I turned 16. I would only say I had a decent, normal life with my mother until I was about 8 or 9. After that I was farmed out to relatives every summer or aunts would come and stay with us because my mother was in the hospital all the time. Nothing to do with alcohol, she had ovarian cancer, When I was farmed out to relatives my uncles on my father's side sexually molested me. Never intercourse but the funny, weird uncle you touch this and I touch that. My parents went to their graves never knowing any of this. I married into a very physically and emotionally abusive relationship and stayed in it for 12 years. Time to stop, you've seen enough. Believe me, there's far more.

I have always called myself a survivor. I just let all of that past roll off my back and try to do good now. But, am I really a survivor? Although my alcoholism may or may not be tied to any of what happened in my childhood life for someone to assume that I am seeking counseling to find a reason to drink is ludicrous. I am seeking counseling realizing that I am an unhealthy human being both physically and mentally because of what happened in my past. I never dealt with it. I just be bopped my way through life turning my head up to the sky and proclaiming "I am a SURVIVOR". Evidently not.

So when I see someone talk about getting help for their past everyone assuming that they're only doing it just to clear the pathway to drinking that's hogwash.

I have never properly dealt with what happened to me. In turn, I believe where we all like to cry in our drinks and tell our sob stories doesn't finding a healthy way to deal with them make sense? Doesn't that then help us to work through those emotions so we can no longer use them as an excuse to drink?

It just sets me off when I see anything that alludes to "You don't need to look for a reason why, you just can't, so shut up and accept it". In fact, I think it stops those who truly need help from seeking what they need.