View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
justinnn

Zach, I know what it's like. I'm about the same age as you(26) I got a 2nd DUI on New Years this year. It's one of the most stressful things you can go through and I've been through it twice. I'm slowly putting it behind me, but it isn't fun. I had to serve 20 days in jail because of it. I have a lot of counseling I have to do, drug tests I have to pay for myself, a lot of $$$ still left to pay the courts, etc. I have to take off work a lot to get my probation stuff done. My boss doesn't like it, but he fortunately puts up with it.

It sucks, but you know what? I wake up each day grateful and ready to take on the day. I'm sober now 80 days because of this. And while at times it's a pain in the ass putting up with everything, I always think about how much worse it could've been. I could've killed someone. I could still be in jail. I could've lost my job. Etc.

I guess my advice is just be grateful for what didn't happen and take whatever does happen as a result head on. I know it's stressful because the courts have full control of you, trust me.. I worried myself to death too. There's nothing you can do about it though. It's not the end of the world especially for just a 1st offense with no accidents. Just do what you have to do, before you know it this will be behind you.

But please don't be me! I told myself the same thing on my first DUI. This will never happen again, I'm so ashamed, etc. But it did. I didn't take my drinking seriously. The 1st offense was a slap on the wrist for me. Once I got sentenced and the stress was over, it wasn't long before I was falling back into old habits. Hell, they didn't even really limit my alcohol intake on the 1st one(no alcohol testing and the only wording on my probation order pertaining to alcohol said "don't drink to excess"). So I could still drink and did. I didn't drive drunk for awhile after it, but eventually time just passes by and you fall back into old habits. At least I did. From personal experience it's my opinion they need to go harsher on 1st DUI's, some states do, but not all.

One last thing.. I agree with Jeffrey. .16 is pretty high man. Only you know you, but saying you had no issues with the field sobriety or didn't feel that drunk but still blew that high doesn't look good. Not telling you what to do, but now is the time to look at yourself and make some adjustments in your life, whatever those are, so you don't get a 2nd. Sounds like you realize that too, but make it a lasting change.

Good luck.