View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Esperons
Foiled Again

You can do this! Don't be discouraged. Every time you relapse is one time closer to quitting it for good. I believe that. The fact that you've tried to quit means that you have the desire to. One day that desire to quit will permanently override the desire to drink.

For me, it took years of relapsing. I tried quitting six or seven times before I stopped for good. I can't (and won't) boast, because I am still very new into recovery, but I know I feel different this time around. You'll know when that time comes too. Don't give up on yourself. Quitting is a process, just like living is a process.

One thing that I believe made the difference for me this time around was that I realized that I was missing the accountability component. When I quit before, I had done it alone. I hadn't gone to counseling or attended an AA group (or some other similar recovery group). Therefore, I was only accountable to myself. And that was no good. I already knew I couldn't do it myself, as was evidenced by how many times I had relapsed. This time, I go to a counselor weekly, and attend a WFS group once a week. Both have made all the difference in the world. I don't feel alone. The in-person one-on-one accountability component is what did it.

Think about it: If we had a choice to never work again, because our bosses wouldn't care whether or not we went into work - how willing would we be to go?

Think about children: If they had a choice as to whether or not they could go to school on any given day, with no repercussions for not going - who would actually go?

We all need to have a sense of accountability. Not only to ourselves, but to others. I believe that makes a world of difference in recovery.

Keep it up! You can do this!