Thread: need drink
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Berrybean

As well as getting to meeting, bear in mind that the 12-step recovery program of AA which is what makes so much difference to dealing with all those old fears, resentments, harms and relationships is kind of separate to meetings. I went to meeting for 6 months straight with those feeling building and building (although I stayed sober somehow). Once I got a sponsor and started addressing that hornets nest within, things started to get much easier and more comfortable. Now I do know serenity, and feel it on a regular basis. It's a feeling that I honestly never knew or could imagine before, and wouldn't have recognised the feeling if I'd landed in a cloud of it.

I hope the meeting goes well. I don't get to go to a women's meeting, but have figured out that not all mixed meetings are the same. The ones that are text based (Big Book, or 12 and 12, or a Living Sober meeting) tend to be the ones that attract more peaceful and gentle types as a rule. They could be worth checking out.

Also, something I find useful to top up between meetings are the speaker recordings. There are lots of great ones on this website, and it's all free... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly! or on YouTube if that's easier.