Old 05-29-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aithyne

Thank you. I mentioned to him that it didn't feel the same because he didn't necessarily live it....of course then he brought up the alcohol abuse he dealt with growing up and while any sucks....my husband has no idea. I don't think I have ever truly laid it out for him what I went through. I know we both lived through similar, yet very different childhoods. And, he also said something about, "I've been to enough counselors. It's not any different than what they would tell you." I know in one way he is just trying to be helpful, on the other hand....he is on the autism spectrum and me showing my feelings make him uncomfortable so he tries to fix it as quickly as possible. LOL

As for my own sobriety, I feel like I need to explain that I was a binge alcoholic from the time I was 19, so 2004 until 2014. and it started to get really bad that last year (as it always does before people make the choice to change). What mostly made me change was the fact that I didn't like the way I felt about myself after a night of drinking that was meant in fun. Nor did I like my children seeing me drunk or hungover to the point of being unable to function.

I'm really interested in a way to learn to talk to my dad. I can't see him when he's been drinking. And the only way I know that has occurred is when I smell it, he won't tell me. I also don't want to not be supportive. I know he is doing it from pain. I think I will try to find that book. Do you know if it is at any libraries? Thank you again for your response.