Thread: Hopelessness
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ilovedogs666

Originally Posted by RedManc7 View Post
My life's better and keeps getting when I don't use/drink etc (relationships, work, health, friends, family etc) And it gets worse - discernibly worse - when I do. Is the drink helping or hindering you in life right now?
This.

I have a lot of great things going on in my life right now, I could connect these to a lot of reasons, but it's all because today I am sober.

When I was drinking, my life was a mess. I had a job where I would miss days off every week, and when I went to work I would be hung over and unable to concentrate on the tasks. I was isolating and just spending weekends at home drinking by myself. I quit the job but I believe if this kept going, they would have fired me sooner and later. I was a terrible employee. My mind was foggy, disoriented, bad memory, and very emotional. I couldnt show up for people I cared about. I couldnt be there emotionally or physically for people. I would make plans to go to a brunch, for example, with people I havent seen in a long time, I would tell them Im coming for sure. But when the time came, I was either drunk, hung over or sleeping. I would get drunk and say embarrassing, private things to people. I would put myself in extremely dangerous situations with strangers. I would be black out drunk not remembering what I did or said the night before. I was constantly in a state of distress, anxiety, shame, guilt, embarrassment. My life was truly a mess.

I was unemployed, unemployable, all I cared about was to drink. Other stuff I believed I care so much about, like my family, significant other, dog, career, job... all of these came second to my drinking. I knew deep down inside that if I didnt drink as much, or if I didnt drink at all, my career and personal relationships would be in a much better state... But I simply could not stop drinking.

Now that everything in my life is so much better, it is because Im sober. Everything I have right now depends on me staying sober. One day at a time.