View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
If anything, it's like de-training Pavlov's dog. You ring the bell but no treat is given. Old association is broken.
Yet the dog still craves the treat and, one way or another, will eventually get it. In the interim, he remains frustrated and, if he has human-like traits, resentful.

I have a brief and unremarkable history with NA beer. It wasn't a big deal back when I first got sober, and I didn't think much of it at first (which was part of the problem).

I regularly met friends for dinner by the time I was sober for a couple of years. Many of them drank one or two beers or a glass of wine, and a few didn't drink at all. This was never a problem for me. I decided one night, at about ten years sober and when we were having Mexican food that an NA beer would go nicely with what I ordered for dinner. I did this a few more times after that, based on what I was eating. And then I stopped doing it.

I wasn't afraid that I'd drink the real thing and get drunk; I was more concerned with the behavior of ordering the beer and thinking that it would satisfy me. Something was not "right" about it, and the more I did it, the more uncomfortable I was about doing it. Something like returning to the scene of the crime, or to a place that held bad memories for me. In the end, it was as though I was using NA beer as a placeholder until I was ready for the real thing again. I occasionally had thoughts and feelings around "getting away with something" that were reminiscent of my thinking and feelings while I was actively drinking. And I truly didn't need any of those things in my life.

So I touched the fire, a small flame in the grand scheme of things, but I wasn't at all interested to discover "what happens next."