Thread: Young Alcoholic
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Aaron,
when I first joined AA, everyone looked old. Now they all look young! It works just as well for the young as the old. It is the same malady, just that those of us that get in trouble young don't always have the time to get old before we recover. Alcoholism will kill us long before that.

I struggled with the God ideas for two apparent reasons. Firstly it made a good smoke screen to divert attention away from some of the other steps. I did not like the look of them one bit.

And secondly, being completely lacking in wisdom, life experience, and intellectual ability, I wasn't really in the best place to "know" about God one way or the other.

The AAs of the time asked if I was willing to believe. I was willing to do anything, so I was willing to believe, even though I didn't, provided I got some evidence along the way.

So I got into those steps with that willingness to try anything, and I had and continue to have some life changing experiences that have settled my views on God. Today I have a belief based in experience. The more experience I get, the stronger my faith becomes. All it took was a little willingness.