View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
CaseyW
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Bluejay71 View Post
I just sent an email to my Aunt and Uncle who occasionally come for dinner, bringing with them a bottle of wine that we always share together. In the past I have had a week or two sober and then when they come I am too embarrassed to say anything about my alcoholism and so just give up my sobriety and share the wine.

They come for dinner tomorrow night. Yesterday I finally had the courage to give sobriety another honest go - I knew I had to do something about not allowing any alcohol in my home at this point. So I just sent them an email simply stating that I am dealing with an alcohol issue and am abstaining so please don't bring any wine to dinner. That was actually really hard to do and something I would have never been willing to do in the past. My relationship with my Aunt and Uncle is still quite new and we don't really get into personal stuff, so I felt really embarrassed to have to share this part of my life with them but if I didn't I would have been drinking wine with them tomorrow night. And I am almost through day 2 so I don't want to give that up (again).

Don't want to be in this prison anymore.

Blue
That's a great step forward in your recovery! Way to go! Keep putting your sobriety first and you'll be amazed at the results.

Proud of you too, ben83. You did all the right things today!

It's day 70 for me. This is now the second longest period of sobriety I've had since I took that first drink back in April 1999. SR in general and my classmates in the Class of March 2016 in particular have been the difference maker for me this time. Stick close to each other, ask for help as soon as you need it, and help others as much as you can even if it's just to say "hello" or "I'm listening" to someone who's hurting. You all are doing wonderful and I look forward to continue cheering you on in our journey of recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are struggling today. I promise it gets better with a little time and some work on our parts. Remember that you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what. It's a false solution to all of our problems.