View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Metlhed

Ageed

Thank you so much, this is the answer I've been looking for.
We have a person in the rooms that is always saying "ego this, ego that" and it was bothering me. I believe a little ego is healthy, especially for the new comer. When we come into the rooms, we are beaten down, stripped of all self-esteem. When a new person starts showing signs of a little self pride, confidence, and reflecting on the good things about themselves, I believe this to be a good thing. Why strip someone of finally feeling good about themselves again? I understand one can't let their ego get in the way of their recovery by thinking they can do this on their own, but let them have a little ego, it ain't all bad.

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
My understanding of Frued's theory is that the Id is inate or instinctual while the Superego is learned. Meaning, all the functions of the Id are present at birth.

With the Superego being the moral center (according to Freud), it seems to me that the "ego" of which is referred to in the rooms of AA actually is the Superego (to some degree anyway).

I don't think any of the elements (Id, Ego, Superego) can be "weak" in an otherwise healthy person. The program of AA sets a sort of moral standard. And when member's own moral standard (the Superego) differs in certain ways, one is said to have a problem with their "ego."

The challenge then is to retrain the Superego to establish a moral code that is consistent with that of AA.

For example, one might think there are times when it's appropriate to be dishonest. It's their Superego that has developed this difference between right and wrong. But the program of AA teaches that members must be "rigourously honest with themselves." Thus it's the Superego that needs the adjustment.