View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bekindalways

Originally Posted by Expanding View Post
That's the book!

I probably AM overthinking it, as I usually do... and you guys are so right… reading people’s minds seems to be my favorite thing to do.

I couldn’t and WOULDN’T be where I am today if he hadn’t left.
I am going back and forth between all the stages and it’s so frustrating! I was feeling anger yesterday and I wake up depressed most mornings, but I am now able to pull myself back within an hour or two. I have accepted he has a drinking problem and that what I thought we had was nothing but a dream, but the dreamer in me is still going, “if only…” and starts to fantasize.

I think the denial will fully go away once I don’t have to live in that house anymore… I don’t think I could handle not having ANY denial while still there... I would go crazy!! Sometimes, when it sinks in who he really is I become terrified and feel like a sitting duck in that house. He has narcissistic tendencies and if there’s a chance he has full blown NPD I have no idea what he would be capable of doing and it frightens me.

He’s very big on respect (even though he gives none!) and one of the last times I saw him made a big show to let me know that he wouldn’t hesitate to put a bullet in anyone that crossed him or anyone he happened to be with at the moment (he carries). I have a feeling it was just for show, a part of his armor to protect his true self, but, isn’t not believing how stuff happens?
Expanding it sounds like you are in the midst of some of the hardest and most useful kind of work that a person can do in this world.

You are probably cycling back and forth through the grief stages in no particular order- no fun. I remember the denial part being the only time I got some relief from the pain. Since then, I've had a deep respect for the human tendency of denial. It was the only way I survived that time.

Kudos to you Lady!