View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

This family isn't a "support group," so let's be clear about that. You don't necessarily have to cut your ties with them forever, but some really good boundaries are what will help you survive with the possibility (maybe) of having a closer relationship someday in the future.

For right now, I'd make the state of your sobriety an off-limits topic of conversation. If one of them ASKS for your help with their own situation, you can provide them with information/resources, but I'd still suggest caution about getting too involved.

So if the conversation goes in the direction of your drinking or your recovery, I'd suggest just telling them that you're fine, you really don't care to discuss details, and if they continue to press, politely end the conversation.

There might be some hard feelings or distance for a while, but as long as you focus on your own side of the street, you will not be adding to your list of resentments or feeding your own anger.

I'd suggest making some friends whose lives don't revolve around alcohol. AA is a great place to find them, but if you don't want to get involved in AA, find some groups or interests that aren't conducive to drinking.