View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
behindblueyes

Family is done with (sober) me.

Hello, I usually post in the other section but I have been sober almost 2 months now. I need family help.

I grew up with two alcoholic parents. My father still has a problem, whereas, my mother is a casual drinker but they both used to party to the point where I would be locked in rooms crying myself to sleep when little, beer would be spilled on me, and my dad was a violent drunk my whole life.

Anyway, I decided to recently tell my mother I was done drinking after she offered me alcohol on Mothers Day. I was driving my child home that day and she offered it twice.

I had a talk with her about how I think I have a problem with alcohol. She has picked me up numerous times at the hospital from falls, hurting myself and so on. She knows I have a problem but she hid the 1-2am calls from my dad.

She actually went and told him I believe my alcoholism stems from watching them drink all my life and my father is irate. I told her I remember him getting arrested drunk and so on. I don't know why I trusted her with this information.

I do not live with them but I repaired my relationship with my dad and have tolerated his drinking even when he placed my 7 year old in a car after 3 beers (I found out after). After Mothers Day, he told my mother I am no longer allowed to talk to her on the phone. He demanded she make a list of everything I will lose if I drink again and he is basically disowning me for thinking of them as alcoholics or calling myself one (?) I think he was drinking when he said these things. She trusts me (enables me) and he is total opposite. The last time I talked to my mom, she said if my dad calls to lie to him and say she gave me the list of things she wrote I will lose to drinking. So, now I live in fear of the phone ringing and having to lie to him.

I will not relapse over this. I am not blaming him for my alcoholism I was just talking to my mom about how I think parents of alcoholics create children who drink. Should I just leave my family alone? They were my only support group since I have cut ties with about 10 drinking friends. Please put this in another section if I have it in the wrong one. Thanks.