View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AngelaE

Thank you CaseyW.... this is the longest I have been sober in over 15 years! I checked myself into rehab on 21 October 2015 as I just felt I could not carry on any more. I felt like I was at the bottom of this pitch black pit and just could not see any light. The weekend before I checked in I went on a really nasty drinking binge - that was my breaking point.

I was fortunate in that I was able to spend 6 weeks as an inpatient at rehab.....for the first time in my life I finally learnt more about my illness and most importantly I learnt so much about myself.

I left rehab on 2 December 2015 and exactly 2 weeks later I relapsed - much to the disappointment of my kids, family, sponsor and MYSELF. It was almost as if I was trying to challenge myself and prove I could in fact control my drinking and "just have one". I was proven wrong - AGAIN

That was my last - I have kept a journal from the day I entered rehab last year and continue to write in my journal every evening. I check in with my Sponsor every day, I follow the 5 Suggestions and for me that is vital to relapse prevention. I ensure I use all the tools and knowledge I was given and in doing so I have come to like the person I am more and more every day - and think about alcohol less.

I do have triggers - mainly places - I have worn an elastic band on my wrist and the moment I think about alcohol or drinking I snap it very hard (it hurts!) but its a reality check and a reminder of where I don't want to go or be.

I found that focusing on the here and now, being "in the moment" and making it through the next 24 hours instead of worrying about the future has also helped a lot.

"Easy does It"