Thread: First Sponsee
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Time2Rise

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
A young girl from my home group (Big Book Step Study) called me and asked me to sponsor her last night and I accepted. I'm at just about a year sober and this is my first sponsee. I am excited, but also nervous. I made plans to meet with her on Friday for coffee....to get to know each other. I had to make a list of what to say to her/ask of her so I don't go all stupid and talk about the weather. It's exciting but also nerve racking to think that someone has placed their trust in me to guide them through this process. I had a long talk with my sponsor about sponsorship and how to go about it. I also saved my notebook from steps 1-3 (all my notes, writings, and assignments) so that I can refer to that when I give her work to complete.

I've just been hired to save someone's life. I must be doing something right for her to ask me, but I also cannot get cocky and rest on my laurels!

I am praying and asking God to guide my head and my heart so that I can be of maximum usefulness to this young woman in her journey to wellness.

Happy Friday all!
It's Friday in Boston

Judging you solely on your writings and interaction here on SR, I'm sure you will be a great sponsor Bunny. You appear to be bright, level headed, caring and sensible, and that's what I would look for in a sponsor if I were using the 12-Steps.