Thread: Girlfriend left
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Aellyce

From what you are saying, it sounds like a good attitude in your current situation. Finding and maintaining a lifestyle that works for both parties of a couple is always challenging and this is especially true for a domestic relationship. There always has to be compromises on both sides but it's not a good idea to give up basic needs for anyone. I think it's quite rare that two people's need for the type and dosage of activities and socializing would match precisely.

It sounds like your girlfriend has been patient with you but if she wants to have a more active lifestyle with her partner involved, she probably did the right thing for her otherwise she would deprive herself of her needs. And yes, it's good to give some space, probably not only to her but also to yourself, to re-evaluate your needs and what sort of lifestyle you would like for yourself.

For example, I would never mix well with a partner who wanted me to participate in a large social life all the time. I do love to go out and explore the many opportunities my environment provides, but not all the time and definitely not with large groups of people or groups that are changing all the time. I'm bringing this up as an example because my last (relatively brief) relationship before the current one ended mostly based of this type of incompatibility. I never regretted and now have a partner whose social needs are different in many ways from mine, but we both respect each-others' choices and can find what we want also independently from each-other, with our respective mates or alone.

Another thing I thought of reading your post is whether your lifestyle of choice is truly the one you like and suits you, or it reflects some form of withdrawal that is not always healthy for you (I remember some of your posts about depression, for example).

It's not entirely clear from your post whether you are staying in a home that you own together or it's hers primarily? I think I would never stay in someone else's place refusing to leave, or solve it by their having to leave, it would be very much in opposition with my basic values. But I never moved in to anyone else's home and was always the one who left a shared place when we decided to separate, I am quite territorial and individualistic and may not be a good representative case.

Whatever the case, drinking will certainly not improve it in any form, as you know well I think. I would say give it some time and see if the separation is definitive. In that case, I am sure you would be able to find a new partner whose lifestyle choices are compatible with yours and less dependent upon outside activities.