View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wisconsin

This is tough, tough stuff, and it is so hard to look at objectively when you're in the midst of it.

When I was a practicing attorney, I was miserable. I enjoyed the subject matter of my practice area, but I hated the culture in law firms. I worked in four different firms, each one smaller than the before it, hoping that the issues would get better in smaller firms. Nope. I didn't like spending my days making rich people richer, or the "eat what you kill" environment in law firms. I found that I did not fit in with most of the other lawyers at every single firm I worked at.

Ultimately, the legal job market made the decision for me. I got downsized at my last firm, and the legal job market was TERRIBLE. STBXAH had just gotten that factory job, and we left Chicagoland and moved 60 miles north into Wisconsin. I spent a year in a very undemanding contract job at a large international bank. During that year, my mother died, and things with STBXAH got much, much worse. Three months after my contract at the bank ended, I started my current government job.

The trauma of losing my job and having to move were AWFUL. But, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, professionally. Being in a job I love made it much easier for me to make progress in my recovery.

I do think that most offices have one form of dysfunction or another. It's rare to find a place without that stuff. But some dysfunctions are easier to tolerate than others. Do you journal at all? If so, maybe take some time to write out exactly what is frustrating you. I also agree that it's a good idea to see your doctor for the usual battery of tests--thyroid, iron, vitamin D, etc.