View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
honeypig

LS, I think it's a great big deal that they gave you a book at your first meeting. I also got a book at my first "beginner's meeting."

There were 5 or 6 of us there, but the others had been to a few meetings (this group runs a repeating cycle of 4 different topics in their beginner's meetings). I was the only complete newbie and was a total wreck. At the end of the meeting, we drew straws for who would receive the copy of "How Alanon Works" that was being given away. Another woman won the draw, but she looked at me and said "I think you should give it to her--I think she needs it more!"

I went away clutching my book for dear life. When I got home, I lay down in bed and began reading. I felt the first touch of sanity and comfort I'd felt in a long time and eventually fell asleep and slept well.

Thanks for reminding me of this, LS. I just made a note to bring up the idea of giving out copies of "How It Works" to newcomers at our next business meeting/group conscience. It was sure important for me and for you too--makes sense to pass it on.

And to the OP, ladyscribbler's post is a GREAT example of how different it can feel to be at different meetings...