View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RocketQueen

Al-anon question

I have a question for those who attend Al-anon:

I've attended 2 meetings in the last 2 weeks and I'm a little confused about "the program". Both meetings have consisted of members (about 5 or 6 of us) reading the steps/traditions, and various bits of pieces of text from the literature and then whoever reads the text discusses what it means to them and their situation. We go around in a circle, taking turns.

That's fine, but I'm a little confused. Everyone (all veterans between about 5 and 15 years in the program) talks about how wonderful the "program" is, and how it's changed their life and they're a better person for it, etc etc. However, I am yet to find out what this magical program is. Is it the 12 steps (taken from AA, which don't make much sense to me in the context of a person who is not the alcoholic - am I supposed to be taking responsibility for the As problem?)? Is it in the multiple literature books that I can't afford? Or is the program just sitting around and getting things off your chest? Am I not "getting it", because I have very little to do with my A anymore and am struggling to relate?

I'm trying to decide if Al-anon is right for me and today zoned out because all that was talked about was how wonderful the program was. I left frustrated.