View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 12:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
I appreciate that I'm not really even close. But what time scale have other people found its okay to go out and have a few drinks without it turning into a session and starting again the next morning? It would be nice to have a goal in the form of a time scale when I can go out and have a few beers without feeling like it's a relapse or like I've given up. Surely responsible drinking can play a part in my life in the future. Or am I now destined to a life of water from my beer glass?
I'm going to take the above paragraph and relate it to when I could have written the same paragraph cause I did go through a long phase where I thought that I might drink again. In moderation. This was years ago though. This was before I was ready to get sober.

When I still thought there might be some way that I could drink moderately in the future I was simply not ready to stop drinking.

I'll tell you what happened when I thought that I could do this. I would drink moderately by the skin of my teeth for a few nights. Then I would get drunk before the end of the first week and figure that I had only gotten drunk once that week so that was better than before when I was getting drunk every night.

Certainly two nights a week wasn't as bad as before right? You can see where this is going.

Even considering the possibility of drinking moderately kept me in the depths of alcoholism and it kept getting worse and worse with more and more consequences.