View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mac6367

Bartending as a Recovering Alcoholic

Well, I made it all the way through day 2 of being sober - after a night of bartending. I can't believe I did it. I get offered drinks and shots by customers sometimes, and I was lucky I was only offered one last night, but I turned it down!

I realize it's not the best job choice for me at this point, but I've been doing it for a long time now, and I'm very attached to my bosses. They're all amazing and I really don't want to screw them over. Besides that, I'm moving overseas in four months. I need all the money I can get. I live in a very small town with very limited job options, and bartending is the best money I can make.

In 45 minutes, I'm off to the other bar I work at. I think it'll be a little more difficult, but I've always liked a challenge. Getting through last night really showed me that I can do it.

To make it easier to help me turn down drinks without getting questions or weird looks (at both bars I work at, it's sort of expected that the bartender drinks), does anyone have any good excuses I can make up to say no? I'd really rather not go into the whole, "Well, I'm an alcoholic and completely lack self control...," thing.

Thank you to everyone here for being so welcoming and helpful!

-Sara