View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
meli2005

I don't think the baby is going to change things, it might make things worse. having a child is one of the more stressful life events though it is joyful, very life changing. It seemed like my AH drinking got worse after we had our child. I hope it doesn't in your case. I dont think it was necessarily the baby, but just the progression of the disease. Alcoholism really sneaks up on you, very insidious.

Anyway, remember you cannot control him, that is the hard part for the person closest to the alcoholic. It is all up to him. Remember these three sayings:

You didn't cause it.
YOu can't cure it.
You can't control it.

It sounds like he is still in denial. Just because someone says they are an alcoholic does not mean they are ready for help. Also just because someone says they want to get better doesn't mean they are ready to get better either.

I've been going thru this w/my AH. He has left inpt. rehab twice and just got kicked out of outpt rehab. Right now he is living in an apt away from us. I just cannot live w/the drinking anymore.

Wish I could sound more hopeful to you. Alcoholics do try to hide their drinking and they hate anyone who tries to control. My AH and I used to get into more fights over his drinking. I got so sick of seeing him passed out on the floor. Just the thought of it now brings back terrible feelings. It really tore our marriage apart. I am at the point of wondering if it is even salvagable.

Welcome to the forum and good luck w/your pregnancy. I loved being pregnant. I have a beautiful 14 month old boy who is into absolutely EVERYTHING, he never stops moving except to sleep!!