View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Irnldy001

I think I can take or leave the word disease. Diseases are not in my control, but with the help of a doctor can sometimes be cured or helped. So in my story, the use of a doctor played very heavily. So I will say that FOR ME, there was a disease that required medical attention.
If others were not in my spot, good for them - great! And if they were able to stop without intervention - also awesome!
My head tells me that when it comes to organized religion ( a few religions omitted) that none of them consider alcohol a sin. So I will not play the sinner card/debate. My own religion encourages wine, and in fact encourages one day of the year of drinking intoxicating beverages with abandon.
Selfishness - yes I am sure this entered in. I would have stopped sooner if I had chosen health first and piece of mind. But instead of selfish I would choose the word deluded - the definition of insanity - trying the same thing again and again hoping for different results. There was a time, a long time ago, when drinking wine for pleasure was likely a selfish act. Then it turned ugly and insidious. At the time it felt like if I stopped, it would be like you asking me to quit breathing oxygen. Selfish or self preservation?
While it's not a debate, I suppose you've caused me to apply some thought to old behaviours. I've covered a lot of this in my step work, but am always happy to revisit and rethink. Keeps me far from slip ups and trip ups.