View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Originally Posted by yearlander View Post
Thank you so much dwtbt..I thought I was going mad for a minute there lol. I remember now why Jack said "stay away from "recovery" groups" But it's sooo god to hear from someone who got better the same way..without all this "angst"
I was only trying to help.
But seems I am an anti-christ lol
Yearlander I think you've kind of missed the point. I think you'll find that many who have been in recovery for a while will agree with some of your post, maybe all of it. I believe you got the reaction you got because this is a newcomers forum. The idea here is to support people in very early abstinence by sharing YOUR experience, what happened and how you managed the 4 years. And sharing it in a way that is non biased, non judgmental and diplomatic.

BTW, part of recovery for me is accepting that my views and my experience are just that, mine. I don't need, or expect, that everyone will just fall in line with me. While I believe that addicts share many common traits and experiences (hence the reason we are so able to understand and support one another), we are also different. What if every long time poster here had this response to each newcomer :"Look loser, you're a selfish jerk. You are choosing this so just grow the heck up and quit drinking". I'm not sure SR would be the place it is.

I do not argue your views in any way, they are yours and got you were you are today. But I don't need to parrot you if I find your approach inappropriate. Pretty straight forward.