Old 04-21-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
wildrosejmj

Thanks so much, Rose. Congratulations on your recovery.

On a day to day basis, things are fine for the most part but, yes, I am very concerned about if/when this set of meds stop working. When all the SHTF last year, it was a matter of days between the calm "new normal" we had and crazy man. Every day was, "what will he be mad at me for today?" It took me off guard for sure because the only time he was like that sober was when he was in treatment that last time. He was never violent, just ugly - though his insults and arguments were so crazy, sometimes I had to just walk away stifling laughter because there was just no reasoning with him. The antidepressants definitely work in that regard. It may not be great, but we can live with him at least! He's definitely not manic - not ever. When he's not working (part time dishwasher at a local hospital) he sits in front of the computer either playing solitaire, commenting on political news articles, or watching videos about aliens, the coming apocalypse, or some other weird sci-fi, like, "Top 10 terrifying monsters caught on video!!" He doesn't do anything else. He barely eats during the day - unless I specifically give him something. Otherwise he eats peanut butter, with or without bread. We go through at least one 48 ounce jar of peanut butter a week. The kids eat a little, but he eats most of it. When it's dinner time, if we aren't being too loud, he'll come to the table, eat, and then go back to the computer. At some point, between 9 and 10, he'll just get up and go to bed. Every once in a while he will check the doors (something he used to be almost neurotic about) or tell me he's going to bed. Most nights though, he just gets up and goes. Like I said, there are so many things.

Presumably, he has been cleared of any other mental health conditions. He is labeled as having depression and anxiety along with his history of alcoholism. No one has ever discussed with me what they expect of him in terms of recovery or how they view his status. For the way they talked to me, he is the picture of health and we should all be very happy for how well he is doing.

Oh, and someone asked about B1. He had the full blood panel done in March (everything checked out great) and, after his seizure in 2008, he did all of his detox stints in the hospital with IV meds and B vitamins.

I really appreciate all the comments and thoughts. I try not to let it get to me (heaven knows I have enough other things to be concerned about and stay busy doing!). It's just so frustrating. I'm concerned about him - and about our whole family. I try to be proactive on things and don't like the idea of waiting till we're in crisis mode again.

As far as staying, short of things getting violent, I have to stay. He could never care for himself. If he gets violent at some point, the hospital will have to take him and figure out what to do with him.

Thanks again, Jen