View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TheFuddsofElmer

Originally Posted by AdelineRose View Post
I think we have all said "I am done, I'm quitting i'll never drink/drug ever again! and then not followed through with it.

What it took for me was hitting absolute rock bottom. I am 25 years old and I had to take a leave of abscense from law school, I was homeless, my car got totaled so I had no transportation, I had cut my entire family out, stole 50,000 dollars from my mom, my boyfriend went to jail, and something in me finally just said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH I DESERVE BETTER!

I decided I was never going to drink or use drugs again. For the first time I didn't feel like I was giving something up, instead I looked at it as gaining everything and more.

I found a doctor that specializes in addiction, I got a full psychological evaluation done and finally got properly diagnosed as bipolar type 2 disorder. I started off with counseling 3 times a week plus doctors appointments every two weeks. I changed my phone number, I deleted Facebook and any google accounts that had numbers changed, I found a safe place to live, and by the grace of God the second I was ready for help my entire family was behind me.

I am now 8 months sober (the longest time I have been sober in the 10 years I have been using heroin). I still go to counseling at a minimum 2 times a month but more if I feel I need it, I still go to my doctor once a month, I have completely immersed myself with family (me and my mom talk on the phone for 2 hours every night), I volunteer, I am finally addressing my codependency issues, I read books about recovery, about codependency, and just books that are fun reading. I volunteer and I do yoga, meditation, and have worked on my spiritual health along with physical and mental health.

Basically I changed EVERY aspect of my life. It all has to start with wanting recovery MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD and to be willing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING it takes no excuses allowed.
Awesome post man. Thank you.

I always feel that my sober days are just that. "Sober Days". I focus my entire day around avoiding alcohol and it just isn't normal. I've tried smoking weed as a substitute but I can't get over it.