View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

I think women's only meetings are a very good place to start while you get used to the format and build up your comfort level. I've found co-ed groups that I like a lot, too. But I've never found a women's group where I didn't feel comfortable/safe, whereas that has happened (rarely, but significantly) at co-ed groups.

They do also have a different vibe to them. To broadly generalize: everyone struggles with vulnerability and expressing themselves in meetings. Men often struggle more, particularly depending on their generation and/or the ideas of masculinity they were raised with. As much as I sympathize, I selfishly feel like the emotional openness and fluency is often higher at women's meetings and so often the insights I get there are deeper than the ones I get at co-ed meetings. I do have co-ed meetings that I love! And I know this makes me sound like a terrible separatist and/or gender-biased monster! But I'm a straight lady who also works in a male-dominated industry; in some areas of my life I like the luxury of a female-driven communication style.