View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lonelywombat67

Turning wine into water

When I stopped smoking (and drinking) about 31 years ago, I made a battle plan that was pretty well thought out. I developed an absolutely positive attitude that I was going to make it. I was a pretty heavy smoker with a bad nicotine addiction that is so tough to kick. I got in some supplies including the newly introduced nicotine gum, some trashy reading, chocolate, hypnosis tapes, etc. I gave up coffee and beer as these were triggers to smoke. I was successful.

Now I'm trying to use some of my creative planning abilities to kick a serious wine addiction. I started by recognizing how serious my problem has become. I know this has to be successful so I can recapture my health and the joy in my life.

Next I came here to start talking about my addiction. I met some kind people who suffer some of the same anxieties and fears and health issues I do.

Then yesterday I opened up to a friend who is the only one I felt safe in confiding to. Although she has a serious illness (MS) and I didn't want to burden her, she came through for me. She has family members who are alcoholics. I had a good talk with her. I am invited to a meeting when I feel ready to go. Since I'm not religious it will be different for me. As A secular humanist I will be going for the companionship and wealth of experience.

I've got a grocery list of easily prepared healthy meals so that I don't have to do much to eat well. Also: Orange juice, bottled water, green juice, dark chocolate, trashy magazines, books, coloring books. Vitamin B1, milk thistle.

Now for the hardest part, choosing a doctor and getting myself there. This is the most important and scariest part of the plan for me! I do have a tapering plan. I have to work down from 2 bottles (occasionally 2.5) of wine a night by eliminating some drinks every night, starting later in the evening, and drinking water between drinks and in place of some drinks. I'm going to make a calendar and not deviate from it. If I deviate I have to ditch that plan for cold turkey and I'll be in for a pretty bad time.

I almost forgot, I'm hiring someone to deep clean my kitchen and bathroom.