Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Thumpalumpacus
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Needabreak View Post
It's called keeping one's eyes open and being honest with oneself about what is happening. Might help for you to try this, instead of brushing it off sarcastically.

Addiction is the problem here, regardless of what his current substance of choice is. You stated in an earlier post that he attacked you while you were holding your baby, that he blamed you for his addiction, and that you just couldn't deal with the lying, cheating and abuse anymore.

He is never going to be the person that you want him to be.
While I agree with your critique, I do disagree with your last line. People can and do change for the better. Is that who we want them to be? Well, that's an individual thing based on both the changeling and the expectant partner.

But alcoholics can and do not only sober up, but change their outlook as well. "Never" is an awfully long time.

I get your gist, that she has to look out for herself first, and rightfully so, but it seems to me that if one says "you'll never do this or that" one is imposing one's own decision on the matter without owning that same decision.

Not many of us clean up and take recovery to heart. Some of us do. How to separate the wheat from the chaff with a bludgeon?

Not taking issue with your main point, only with your use of that word "never", only because that's an awfully long time.