Thread: 3 years
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DG0409

3 years

So, I hit 3 years alcohol free on the 9th. Been crazy busy and haven't managed to make a post in the couple of days since, but that makes it no less important of a marker for me.

Life is really good these days. I've been thinking that the first year getting sober was really tough, and the second year felt better, maybe just in comparison to the first. The last year, I have really made a lot of strides. I feel like I've gone beyond cleaning up the wreckage of my past into really creating the life that I want to live.

I am so thankful for all that recovery has brought into my life. There's a lot of great tips around here on how to get through early recovery so I don't want to say much about that. The one thing I do want to say about staying sober long-term is that I think it's important to really work to make life into what you want. To me, there is no point in getting sober just to live a miserable life. I'm really set on creating a life that is exciting, fulfilling and worth staying sober for.

Everybody before me said that things would just keep getting better, and that has turned out to be so true. It's not easy, especially in the beginning, but it is worth it.

Thanks to everyone here who has supported me and helped me along the way. It's funny because the first months of recovery were extremely tough, but I get nostalgic about some of the memories from that time. I made a lot of connections to people here that were really important to me. Some of them are people that I still keep in contact with on a semi-regular basis and others are people I've drifted from a little more, but all are people that I keep in my heart.