Thread: irritation
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Restless, irritable and discontent. Yes, that's the normal state we find ourselves in when our old crutch alcohol has been removed. I couldn't stand to wait for anything. I had no patience at all, and was constantly wound up like a spring, or completely wiped out and unable to think straight at all. If I didn't keep busy my mind would start drifting back over the shameful things I used to drink to escape, until I stopped drinking to stop repeating them. Or it'd be going over and over things that made me mad or sad. What a state. I just pray I never relapse, because to go through that again would be hell.

The thing is, Recovery is all about learning how to Live sober, and although much of it is quite logical and rational, it was so far removed from my best thinking it was crazy, and I needed help. Badly. I got to a month in and the aforementioned restlessness, irritability and discontentment were completely taking over. I was sober, but didn't feel like I was Living. That's when I decided to find support. Thankfully I found it here and at AA. That's when I realised that there's a lot more to Living Sober than just being sober, and started relearning, and practicing dealing with things, and thinking about things, in a different way. Growing up I suppose.

Things DO get better. I hope it'll be soon for you.