Old 03-31-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
uncorked

Hi Lucky, forgive my ignorance but I'm unclear as to which substance you're addicted to. Aren't SSRIs anti-depressants? And you said your other med was, too. I've not heard of anyone going to detox for those. At one point, I was on Effexor, which is an SSRI and while it took some time to wean off of it comfortably, I wasn't "addicted" to it in the sense that I craved it. The doctor gave me a dosage schedule to slowly cut down until I was off of the med.

But ok, you asked about rehab and I have experience with that. I was petrified to go and cried the whole way there!! I guess you could consider where I went to be semi-luxurious. I, too, wanted access to a computer and cell phone....but I didn't get that right away. (However, I could use the house phone during free time to call my kids and family.) After a couple weeks, they let me use my cell phone for about 15 minutes 2x a week. Some places have a more liberal stance with that, but most of the rehabs, at least here in the US, are somewhat restrictive with regard to internet access. We could leave the grounds if we were on an outing and accompanied by staff (the movies, dolphin cruise, putt putt golf, etc). After 2-3 weeks, we could leave Sat and Sunday for family visits. Of course, they checked your clothing and bags and you had to take a breathalyzer when you got back. The place I went to had some cardio machines and weights, but not a full-on gym. Before I left, they added a nice dock for fishing and started building a pool.

Look for somewhere that doesn't accept court-ordered rehab patients and has an age minimum -- at least 22 or 23. No matter where you go, there will always be people there that are just making an appearance to please a family member or such, but that doesn't mean you can't get a lot out of the program. I preferred a non 12-step approach and a center that encouraged positivity and empowerment.

Many places have a detox unit (mine did), be sure to ask when you call. Again, the rehab I went to was more holistic and they did NOT use Suboxone. We were given short-term medications to relieve withdrawal symptoms as well as vitamins/supplements as needed.

I know this sounds strange, but I really enjoyed rehab. I was able to focus just on myself and my issues. I felt safe, comforted and met a lot of great people, some whom I still keep in touch with. Feel free to message me if you want more info. Best of luck to you!