View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
supernoodle52

partner in recovery - polling for advice

My partner of nearly two decades has struggled with drinking and that struggle escalated over the past few years. A year ago he identified as an alcoholic and six months ago, he became sober. He has built a rich support network in his sobriety including AA, therapy, meditation etc. As seems typical, or usual, (based on my reading) he has hit a wall around month 4 until now and the last two months have been torture. In short, he is rejecting our home, relationship and life together whilst at the same time saying that he loves me. He chooses, with the support and encouragement of his new network including his sponsor, to physically leave. The latest stint is a few weeks departure - with a request from him of no contact from me, for "time and space".

On one hand I understand the value this can have; on the other hand I don't feel that during this absence he is doing anything constructive for his recovery or for our relationship.

Incidentally, so far, he does not find major flaws in our relationship. All the issues are, as he himself described them, about his head, his space, his choices etc. Quite aside from all the excellent advice about detachment, looking after yourself etc, I was hoping there was some experience or practical advice what to do. Thank you!