Thread: OT-Wakeup call
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
honeypig

Interesting to hear about the sugar cravings from the alcoholic side of things. I know that XAH had a powerful sweet tooth too--if I accidentally picked up his coffee cup in the AM instead of mine, I would almost choke on the amount of sugar he had in it. He liked everything sweet, sweet, sweet.

I'm working on a book called "In the Realm of the Hungry Ghosts" and it talks extensively about which brain areas are impaired to start with, making addiction more likely, and how the DOC then damages those areas further, making it more difficult yet for the addict to even have a desire to get sober/straight, let alone actually succeed in the undertaking. I'm guessing this sugar thing might be an example of what was just a preference before the drinking started but that now is permanent, even if the drinking has stopped.

I have to say, as I read this book, I find it an absolute miracle that ANY alcoholic/addict EVER gets sober/straight. There is so incredibly much working against that. Hats off to you double winners here!