Old 03-23-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Praying

Wow that's a tough one...I'd trust your gut. He could be using it as an excuse--or maybe recognizing that it's all he's capable of right now. I would trust my feelings.

My XABF wants to work on our relationship and work towards getting together again, and he's bumping up on a year of not drinking in April--but only really immersed in changing his thoughts and patterns starting in December--so very "young" in the recovery space.

I'm not interested--I've been too far down that path before and it isn't worth the risk for me. With him, he had about a year sobriety before we moved in together (I was unaware and thought he just didn't drink)...and that sobriety dropped like a hot poker when he took his first drink (unbeknownst to me until he was face down a few weeks later and lying and hiding).

A question I'd ask myself if I were you...if you read some of the stories here...do you want to sign up for a future of addiction recovery? It's a forever thing. One thing my RABF says is "I can't promise anything", meaning--"I will be yours forever, I just can't promise I'll be sober forever. Just today." I don't want to live with that feeing that tomorrow could be the day it all comes crashing down--because I've experienced it. And many here would say the same...if you haven't already signed up...think hard and educate yourself on what a lifetime of recovery looks like.