View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I felt pretty much the same as you after my first month sober - and it was getting worse, not better. I'm a teacher working with pupils who have special needs. They can be pretty demanding / challenging / lively and I need to be responsive and able to think out-of-the-box, and newly sober (and white-knuckling it) I was painfully aware that I wasn't up to scratch.

That was the point, for me, when I became willing to seek help. From this site, and also from AA. I had to force myself to listen to people's suggestions and carry them through, because my AV and habit had my thinking hard-wired to thinking of alcohol as pretty much 'The Solution' to everything. Things started getting better for me from that point for a while (basically later on I stopped listening again for a while - I like to do things the hard way - and treated myself to a few months of proper misery before I dug that willingness back out and became teachable again so that people could help me, but that was further down the line).

Please, please stick with sobriety, but explore things that can help you. Just removing alcohol without putting other strategies in its place rarely works. Dee has some great links for making a plan - I think they might be in the Stickies area at the top of the page (not sure though, sorry).