View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alegresempre

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Hi. I'm a Mom who has been an alcoholic all her life.
What my children have decided to do is to not talk to me....But, I know the distance is still affecting their lives.

Unfortunately your Mom will not stop until she has had enough and no one knows that more than me. Even when I stopped for 8 years...my relationship with my children remained on egg shells.

Of course you want the best for your Mom and trust me she wants the best for you as well. If you can continue to have a relationship with her and accept her for the way she is...than that would be best for all.

I did stop recently...but it wasn't because I want my kids back (I gave up on that)...but it was because I was dying and I realized it.....I don't think my kids know or will ever trust that I have stopped for good. I'm hoping with time..that they will come back around and be happy about my sobriety. I just wish they never left because I miss them.

It is a real life and death struggle for an alcoholic. My kids have had their problems and I have always stood by them. Personally, having them around more while I was drinking...would have made me MAYBE realize sooner all that I was missing out on. Now that I am sober...they are missing out on a lot themselves.

I knew I needed help. But, I looked at it like...if I were dying of cancer...would they turn away from me? I see a lot of people think alcohol can be controlled...better than cancer. Not true...alcoholism...is the only drug you can DIE from if you just stop abruptly without medical care. And the flip side of that...is you will die a slow, lonely, painful death if you are in the progression stage and don't reach a point where you need help.

I hope your Mom reaches the point that she needs help. You can still be in her life while she is drinking...without enabling her...and letting her know she won't be invited to events if she is going to be drinking. Try to have a relationship with boundaries? So at least you know how she is doing? Sometimes shutting people out that are sick....makes them sicker.
You said all the right things missy2, I hope the OP take your advice, "shutting people out that are sick, makes them sicker".