View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Originally Posted by mamaof3boyz View Post
"*I'm so scared that he is going to find someone with less baggage and fall in love"

This makes me sad you feel this way...you seem like a great mom and a caring person, with a beautiful daughter. That's not baggage. I know it hurts like hell but you cannot control him or his wishes, step back, honor his wishes and whatever happens is what's meant to be. However you must take care of you. I highly recommend the book by Melody Beattie which Ann recommended. Take care
I agree! I find it sad too. Well, baggage has such a negative connotation. Maybe I should do away with that word, idk...Everyone has 'issues'. Yes, it may seem that some peoples' issues are more numerous and severe than others and it may seem that people have more patience/tolerance for person "B's" issues, but won't even entertain person "C's" issues. Some people like to suck us into their issues and if they appeal to us, there we are: sucked in before we even know it. Just because people have issues does not mean they are not charming and don't also have many other numerous qualities. But, don't knock yourself. Sure, it's your stuff to own and live with and such...you're not trying to pawn your 'baggage' off on others or use it to manipulate. Oh, the manipulation. I've been manipulated. And I've also manipulated others, which I'm not proud of, but it's almost like a default setting: it's about getting your needs met. And, if we were raised to not be forthright and assertive and direct, we were intrinsically "taught" to manipulate. We see manipulation so readily in others, but often do not see how manipulative we have been or are being. In yet other cases we can see how someone else is being manipulated, but don't see when we ourselves are being manipulated. I think an atmosphere of safe honesty helps people to avoid being manipulative and instead be direct. But an atmosphere in which honesty is not supported, for whatever reason, breeds manipulation. I'm rambling now, I suppose. In some cases, manipulation is basically just a way of producing in others the behaviors we want them to have.