View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
opalblue

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
KNB everyone here who has hung around longer than we should ( the Undie Graduates!) keep coming back offering support and the wisdom of our own experiences of recovery, because we all still remember what it is like in those early days;
It is easy to feel that no one understands what it's like, yet here? We may have walked different paths to SRs front door, but we all carry similar baggage. Here we can lay that baggage down, even open it up and share the load, suddenly we're not carting so much around and that evil little bugger AV isn't saying anything we want to listen to.

BeFree, I know you are not comfortable in big groups anyway, so AA will be tough on you until you get familiar with faces. I feel sometimes too, that our mood can affect how comfortable we feel around strangers, perhaps before the next meeting you could do some relaxation techniques and positive visualisation? I know that you have to be strong and in control at your work, so perhaps you need to bring that persona to AA, tell yourself that everyone there needs your assurance, it may bring out your confidence.

We are so used to telling ourselves we are weak, stupid, awful, we forget. Take a moment to think about how long you have been sober 32 days(great going SJ!) 38 days KNB, or 10 month -awesome BF and think of the strength of character it takes to maintain that sobriety.
You are strong people, you rock!

Babs, those that say don't look back, I feel, are saying don't live in the past; don't live in a world of what ifs and why didn't Is? Only a fool wouldn't want to remind themselves of the past so as not to continue making the same mistakes, and you, Babs, are no fool. You may not have the length of sobriety of some here, but you have fought like a tigress to obtain it, coming back time and again when others would have just taken the easy path. So yes, keep fresh in your mind the things you want to ensure you don't repeat, but let go the regrets of time wasted.

Much like the regret many of us less sylphlike folk who regret the chocolate bar we just gorged; it's eaten, the calories are already adding another layer to my hips, all I can do is change my thoughts on the next time I pass the candy aisle and out on my running shoes. Past is past, gone and done. Can't be changed. The future though? That is ours to shape however we want.

BF, sounds like you need a little self indulgence, perhaps a spa day at home, hot bath, fluffy towels face mask, music, and phone off the hook. A mini staycation!
Maan! Another fabulous uplifting post. I like this group. Everyone talks so much sense here and I feel a sense of serenity. I am in the feb 2016 group. It's a great bunch of people but everyone is struggle and it's overwhelming at times. Sometimes despairing
The best for me is for someone to hold my hand and guide me through the mess. I feel very comfortable here. Like I have found my parents lol 😂