Thread: Hi all...
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi John - welcome to the forum, and well done on 10 days.

I know exactly what you mean about the relief about being able to talk to others who understand. This place (from the start) and AA (I started going about a month in to being sober) have really made sobriety possible (and more comfortable) for me.

I really do think that at this stage having beer in the fridge is an easily avoidable risk. Every time you open your fridge you're likely to see it and think about alcohol. Honestly - the cost of a few beers is nothing - why not just tip them away? Or give them away? (Maybe donate them to a food bank if you have them in oz).

For me, getting over the anxiety was more about changing my thinking than blotting it out. Many of us have developed pretty duff ways of dealing with it (drinking / drugging it away) over time and need to unlearn that strategy, and learn new ones (without finding other ways to mask it). That's where AA has come in for me - contrary to my belief, AA isn't just about stopping drinking (that's just the first step), it's about learning to be comfortable in sobriety (the other 11 steps).

Good luck with whatever path to recovery you choose.