Thread: What do I do
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

I think Rez made a great point about coming up with a new habit for Friday. Just sitting at home waiting for it to pass won't really change things up for you. Is there and activity that you could do on Fridays that would appeal to you? Maybe going to the cinema and getting popcorn and watching a new film? Participating on a recreational sports team? Going to the library and reading?

I haven't tried either of the medications you mentioned though I have also heard positive things about them. I have tried Campral though and had really good results. When I say "really good results" I do not, by any means, mean a miracle. It didn't turn me into a normal drinker, it didn't wipe away any hint of cravings, but it did make it easier for me to manage the cravings that came up. If I chose to drink on it, which I did several times, I *might* have noticed a slight bit more control on the first drink- siping slower, not feeling that crazy craziness. But I'm an alcoholic and no medicine will completely erase that, so more often than not once I got past that first, slow drink it was off to the races and total chaos as usual.
However, to re-cap, I'm a big fan of the medication. It just can't be used without other, solid techniques to avoid drinking. It is just a little boost.