Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobersolstice

Originally Posted by least View Post
Why not choose today to quit drinking? No time like the present.

You may have to stay away from your parents for a while if they are encouraging you to drink or telling you that you don't have a problem.
Yeah. I moved to CO from CA to avoid my parents. Mom's in bad shape, so I'll probably go back at some point to spend time with her before she leaves for good. I'd like to be sober and able to say no when I visit again. Interestingly, this hasn't been a problem. If I go out with friends and consciously decide not to drink, I don't.

In a strange way, I've had friends quit or cut back drinking because of my drinking. I guess that's proof positive that whatever they're seeing is enough to impact them in a way that makes them think. If only I had a sober version of myself watching me drink. When I am sober, bars and parties aren't triggers because I mainly drink at home, and I look around and think "I don't want to be that guy".

I was listening to a podcast yesterday, and someone equated how short and valuable our lives are as humans that we should perceive every minute as being worth a billion dollars.

I almost feel like I'm lying when I say I'm going to quit at this point, but considering I've wasted hundreds of thousands of minutes of this precious life, I'm not being fair to myself by doing the one thing that will change everything for the better.