View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Para

Family thinks i'm a lost cause

Hello all,

As some of you may know, i've been working through the first year of recovery, i've had some slips during that time - I admit to that.
During this time, I have tried AA, and it really hasn't been for me. So then I tried abstinence, that worked for a while. And being on this site, I've been introduced to Rational Recovery. I'm reading the book by Jack Trimpsey, and I find I can relate.

What i'm struggling with at the moment is my family. I come from a strict upbringing, with high expectations and a lot of black & white thinking.
My family has no faith in me, when I am working on sobriety, they just say it's a matter of time before i start drinking again. Alcoholics can't ever stop forever. My sister told me to break up with my boyfriend because he shouldn't build a relationship with someone who's an alcoholic. Basically, in their eyes, i'm damaged forever. They say since I can't commit to AA, then i'm a lost cause.

I know what they are saying is not true. Many alcoholics have years and years of sobriety (be it through AA, rational recovery, whatever works for them).

How do I not let their attitudes affect me? I can't change them, but I can change my attitude. But i'm lacking the self confidence. Help would be appreciated...