Old 02-29-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
alterity

Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
He needs more than massage therapy. He needs therapy for his sugar addiction. Sugar is a VERY addictive substance! Just because it's legal, and sweet, doesn't mean it's not very unhealthful.
Oh, don't I know it. However, his eating habits are more than really bad choices. The thing is that I think he is somewhere "on the spectrum" a little. It's not just sugar, but his entire diet seems to be the diet typical of a person with autism. Textures are sometimes even more important than taste, for example. This is an indication of sensory processing problems which go hand in hand with ASD. People with ASD tend to have a very limited food selection, oftentimes just strictly meat, carbs, and processed foods. My husband's diet primarily consists of that. No vegies at all except carrots in soup.

I've tried to make the healthiest meals that I know he likes or will at least tolerate, but then it seems that he needs to supplement with more junk for snacking. We have only been living together for about a year and I am starting to realize that there isn't anything I can do to influence him to change. That is where "letting go" would be really helpful for me, but that is always so much easier said than done.