View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Life didn't "work" for me. That's why I drank.

When you can afford to eat steak and lobster every day, the meaning of life is irrelevant. When you're teetering on the edge of the abyss, it doesn't matter how you save yourself.

I rarely get involved in discussions about the relative value of (superficially) competing treatment methods. I'm not even certain what it is that "worked" for me, but I do know that it didn't come from without.

If something that I'm doing puts me at risk, I tend to stop doing it. It's sometimes only a single experience of something that hurts me for me to know I shouldn't go back, something I rarely practiced while drinking. But it sometimes takes time and experience to decide on what is helpful and what is not. Treatment of any kind is a delivery system designed to get us where we need to be, and we can't expect other people to do all the work. I didn't, and probably couldn't, know what would and wouldn't be helpful for me when I first got sober, and for some time afterwards.

I don't find it useful to invoke an AV for me to stay sober, but I know many people who do, and I get it. For me, the value of most things in life resides in what we're willing to do to get it, and not in the achievement itself. What I appreciate and often respect about people here on SR (and no one needs my respect or permission -- or anyone else's -- to do anything they do) is the struggle, not the method.

Science, information, methodology...(to paraphrase) they paint no pictures, sing no songs, and write no poems.